Favorite Quotes & Verses

  • ..."Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened"...

Friday, October 15, 2010

What to do?

In the accounting/finance line of work, recruiters call all the time with job opportunities. I'm perfectly happy in my job 90% of the time (and the other 10% are just annoyances, not anything really bad), but one job that came across my desk recently looked interesting. Which made me think, "what's wrong with my current job that makes this one sound interesting?" I've been in my job for almost 3 years now and even though there's always something new each quarter, each quarter really ends up being the same.

So, should I look for a job in a different department? Should I seek out some new responsibilities but still stay in my current position? If the latter, how long do I stay in this position? Wait until my boss moves on to something else and then try to move into her position? That would mean that I'd be doing basically the same job from now until who knows when! So, I know that something needs to change, just not sure what needs to change or how much it needs to change.

I feel silly spending all this time thinking about what needs to change at work when, at the end of the day, I have a job that I enjoy, that pays well, that gives me lots of vacation time and flexibility and that when I leave at the end of the day, I (i) feel satisfied that I did a good job and that my efforts were appreciated by those around me and (ii) a job that I don't really take home with me. Well, except for times like these when it's all I think about day in and day out.

So, basically, I've just been around the world and back during the last week or two about my job, analyzing and over-analyzing all the potential scenarios. But, I've got too much actual work to do, so I'll put this on hold until the 10-K is filed at the end of January (or until some other opportunity comes up that I think about again).

In the meantime, I'll focus on the positive and when those annoyances creep up, I'll focus on "rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man" because life is full of things that are more important than work. Like Hannah said at one of our GC nights: "Jesus wants your heart, not your accomplishments."

No comments:

Post a Comment